Community listening sessions to be held Monday at Henning School
By Chad Koenen
There was no such thing as a bad idea as members of the Henning School Board held a brainstorming session about the future of education and the school building itself with representatives from ICS.
During a special school board workshop on Monday night, which was held prior to the start of its regularly scheduled meeting, members of the Henning School Board talked about everything from the biggest needs of the school to challenges the district will continue to face for years in the future.
The session was part of an expansive community input listening session that the Henning School District is conducting with the help of representatives from ICS.
Following the brainstorming session, members of the school board voted for some of the biggest needs facing the district. Some of the top responses were updating the entry way, updating the elementary wing of the school, updating the HVAC system, increasing enrollment, reorganizing the school for better flow and replacing the gym floor.
The school district will be holding two listening sessions on Feb. 28 to gather input from community members to gather the public’s input about future building projects and needs at the school.
A virtual listening session will be held at 12 p.m. on Feb. 28 and another one will be held in the school gym later that night at 5:30 p.m. Anyone can attend the meetings, even if a person does not live in the school district or have a child who attends the school.
In other news
• Approved the hiring of Kelly Ellenson as a paraprofessional for two days a week for the remainder of the school year.
• Approved the hiring of Gerardo Armendarez as a long-term sub for world languages beginning March 7.
• Accepted the state bid price for the purchase of a new school bus.
• Approved scheduling a school board work session on Monday, March 21 with ICS from 5-8 p.m. in the Henning Public Library/Media Center.
• Approved changing the March school board meeting to Tuesday, March 22 at 5:30 p.m. due to a scheduled work session on March 21.
• Heard the monthly enrollment report which showed enrollment on Feb. 11 at 337 students in grades K-12 and another 47 students in preschool.
• Approved changing the regularly scheduled school board meeting dates back to the third Monday of the month. Earlier this year, the school board approved changing its school board meetings to the second Monday of the month. If there is a conflict with the third Monday of the month the school board meeting will be held on the following day at 5:30 p.m.