5 years ago

Citizen’s Advocate

January 23, 2018

The Otter Tail Central wrestling team won four duals last week and also took place in the 17 team US Army Prowler Open in Thief River Falls. The lone varsity champion was Nate Hart and the JV champions were Kalen Kraft, Logan Schleske, Michael Fielding, Will Ehlert, Noah Schleske and Chase Janu. 

Reverend Doctor Mark Erickson was recently installed as the new head pastor at Leaf Mountain Lutheran Church in rural Clitherall. He was joined at his installation by his wife Kristin and son Tim.

Tyson and Kale Misegades took first place at the region hoop shoot. Becca Frederick took second place at the region meet in Brainerd. The Misegades brothers will now advance to the state hoop shoot. 

Gretchen Freed met her pen pals who were in Stephanie Jorgenson’s second grade classroom. Freed was a Henning High School graduate and is serving in the North Dakota Air National Guard. She was nicknamed “Freedom Freed” by students in the classroom.

25 years ago

The Henning Advocate

January 28, 1998

With the arrival of snow comes the enterprise of making something of it. Some of us merely push it aside and pine for the warmer months, others choose to have fun with it, oftentimes wallowing amongst the flakes or gliding over great heaps of the fallen flakes. In this case, young outdoor adventurers Andy Motzko and Edwin Lundquist took ordinary snow piles and groomed them into works of art…ramparts or some other sort of fortification. Whatever it is they built, they had a good time with it.

With a formal vote of the Henning School Board in its January 22 regular meeting, a new two-year contract between the school district and its teachers was put in place for the 1997-99 school years. Teachers had approved the contract as proposed by the school board just prior to Christmas, Superintendent Dr. Bruce Montplaisir told the board. The new contract provides a total pay package increase of 4 percent in the first year and 4.01 percent in the second, for a total increase of 8.01 percent.

50 years ago

The Henning Advocate

January 25, 1973

Irv Cordes was happy with his annual John Deere Day turn-out on Tuesday. He also had good cooperation from the weatherman. About 300 attended the free lunch at noon. Two shows were presented on the new techniques, latest research and developments of farming.

75 years ago

The Henning Advocate

January 22, 1948

Commissioner Chester Wilson admitted that the department was hasty in banning dark-house fishing. Henning Rod and Gun members who were present were Martin Dusa, Clarence Gribbon, Melvin Nyhus, Joyce Eastland, Dr. Thompson and Art Wiebe of Ottertail.

100 years ago

The Henning Advocate

January 25, 1923

A very strong proof that the credit system is wrong is being strongly emphasized these days when one observed the number of people going into bankruptcy. Those people have been given credit with the assumption that they were honest and now get out of paying their just debts, they do so without compunction. If everyone were obliged to pay for what he gets or else go without there should be more independent people and fewer dishonest ones.

Mr. Sheenan, who teaches school in the Kimber District, Girard, slipped and fell near the school house Monday morning and broke his leg. Some children happening along found him lying helpless. Mr. Sheenan was taken to his home on Tuesday.

125 years ago

The Henning Advocate

January 26, 1898

Girls all know that the most persistent suitor for the waltz numbers is the very fellow they don’t want. For our part we prefer a sitting-down walz, anyhow. One of those waltz-at-ease movements where you both get away in some quiet corner, sit down side by side, you slip your arm around the girl and sit there and have your waltz out. The girl here has the power of selection.

The city of Duluth has gone into the municipal ownership business and have voted to buy the plant of the Gas and Water Co. for $1,200,000.