Henning to continue second chance breakfast
News | Published on June 23, 2022 at 2:16pm EDT | Author: Chad Koenen0
School board to look at demand for program in the fall
By Chad Koenen
Henning’s second chance breakfast will be getting a second chance in the fall.
During its regularly scheduled meeting on June 13, the Henning School Board approved proceeding with the second chance breakfast option in the fall. The option will be done on a trial basis for the first quarter to see if there is continued demand for the bagged breakfast option.
As part of the second chance breakfast pilot program last year, Henning School students had just over a 10 minute block to get a bagged breakfast. The program gained popularity throughout the second semester and had as many as 118 students take the second chance breakfast in a day, which was offered to students in grades 6-12.
The program averaged around 85 students per day.
Due to a federal funding program, Henning School Superintendent Melissa Sparks said students were able to have one free breakfast and lunch each day last year. The second chance breakfast was included in that free program.
The program providing free breakfast and lunch has ended, which means students will now need to pay for the second chance breakfast moving forward. Following the school board meeting, Sparks said the school board wanted to see if the popularity of the second chance breakfast program continues, even after the free breakfast and lunch program ends.
In other news
• Approved a seven day, six night choir trip to Disney World. The trip will be held from April 10-16, 2023 and include stops in Orlando, Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Cocoa Beach/Epcot and a performance as part of the Disney Performing Arts. This trip will not include the band.
• Approved setting a work session with representatives from ICS to discuss future building projects at the school. The work session has been set for June 29 at 5:30 p.m. at the school.
• Accepted donations from St. Edward’s Catholic Church for summer rec/swimming lessons and the estate of Curtis Peterson for the athletics program.
• Approved the hiring of Randy Misegades as a summer fitness center worker.
• Approved the hiring of Julie Frost as a .8 preschool teacher.
• Heard that as of June 8 there were 15 students enrolled in the 3-year-old program and 23 students enrolled in the 4-year-old program. In her report to the school board, Sparks said she anticipated the 3-year-old program would increase by 2 students.
• Heard that security will be the top priority at the school this summer with the district focusing on fixing any problems that have been identified with the doors and intercom system. The gym floor will also be stripped down and rewaxed, broken tile throughout the main hallways will be replaced and a variety of other projects will be completed.