Local youth learn about show, trail, endurance riding and more
ight 4-H youth from East Otter Tail County participated in the Minnesota 4-H State Horse show Sept. 17-20.
This year, 591 youth from across the state participated in the annual event at the Minnesota State Fair. 4-H’ers demonstrate their skills and knowledge in hippology (showing knowledge and understanding of equine science and husbandry), horse judging (study of an animal, measuring it against an accepted ideal), horse training and achievement, speech and demonstrations about interest in horses or the horse industry, showmanship and drill team skills.
Youth who participate in the Minnesota 4-H Horse Project learn about show, trail, and endurance riding; test their horse knowledge at quiz bowls or on judging teams, and study horse science. Youth may participate if they own or lease a horse. There are even options for youth who are interested in horses, but don’t have access to one in their community.
“Through the Minnesota 4-H State Horse Show, youth build communications skills, gain deeper learning and interest in horses, and build relationships with caring adults,” said Renee Kostick, Extension Educator who manages the 4-H horse project in Minnesota. “These experiences contribute to their success in school, community, and futures.”
The following youth were members of the East Otter Tail County delegation:
• Kadance Brauch- Western Showmanship, Western Pleasure, Poles, Barrels, Jumping Figure 8, Key Race (sixth place)
• Sara Mindermann-Western Showmanship, Western Pleasure (third place), Western Horsemanship (fifth place), Hunt Seat Pleasure (seventh place), Hunt Seat Equitation (fifth place), Trail, Horse Training
• Adyn Shepersky- Poles (eighth place), Barrels (10th place), Jumping Figure 8, Key Race
• Olivia Reed- Western Showmanship Pleasure Type, Western Pleasure Pleasure Type, Western Horsemanship (3rd place), Hunt Seat Pleasure Pleasure Type, Trail
• Emily Reed- Western Showmanship, Western Pleasure (10th place), Western Horsemanship, Hunt Seat Pleasure, Trail (ninth place)
• Trisha Crews- Western Pleasure, Western Horsemanship, Hunt Seat Pleasure, Hunt Seat Equitation, Poles, Barrels, Jumping Figure 8, Key Race
• Mikaela Niemi- Western Showmanship, Western Pleasure (sixth place), Western Horsemanship
• Breckin Foley- Western Showmanship (sixth place), Western Pleasure, Poles, Barrels (10th place), Jumping Figure 8, Key Race
To learn more about Minnesota 4-H Horse Project, contact local extension educators Sarah Downhour or Janet Malone at 218-385-5420 and visit the website, www.z.umn.edu/4HHorseProject